Details of Laureates
Past Prize Laureates
2022 Events Schedule
- Announcement of Laureates
Tuesday, September 20, 2022(JST)
- Keio Medical Science Prize Award Ceremony and Commemorative Lectures (Web Live Streaming)
Monday, November 28, 2022 (JST)
About Keio Medical Science Prize
The Keio Medical Science Prize gives recognition to the outstanding and creative achievements of researchers
in the fields of medicine and life sciences,
in particular those contributing to scientific developments in medicine.
It aims to promote worldwide advances in medicine and life sciences,
to encourage the expansion of researcher networks throughout the world, and to contribute to the well-being of humankind.
Laureates receive a certificate of merit, medal, and a monetary award.
The award ceremony and commemorative lectures are held at Keio University.
Please submit nomination materials online through the Nomination Form.
Nomination Form is opened during end of January to early March.
The Keio Medical Science Prize Selection Committee, consisting of Japanese academics and researchers,
is charged with reviewing candidates' research activities and making a recommendation to the Board of Directors.
Nominees must be researchers in medicine or life sciences closely related to medicine,
and preferably currently active in their field of research.
The Keio Medical Science Prize is an international award.
- An invitation is sent out to academics and researchers all over the world each year,
inviting them to nominate a candidate for the Prize.
- The Committee reviews the nominations and submits a recommendation to the Board.
- The Board makes the final decision and formally announces the laureate(s).
(Subject to Change)
- Call for Nominations: Late January
- Deadline for Nominations: Early March
- Prize Announcement: Mid-September
- Award Ceremony: November or December at Keio University
- Announcement of the 27th Keio Medical Science Prize
The 27th Keio Medical Science Prize is awarded to:
Carl H. June, M.D.
Richard W. Vague Professor in Immunotherapy
Director, Center for Cellular Immunotherapies
Director, Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Yoshihiro Kawaoka, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Director, Research Center for Global Viral Diseases, National Center for Global Health and Medicine Research Institute
Project Professor, The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo
[Award Ceremony and Commemorative Lectures]
Date & Time: Monday, November 28, 2022, 2pm-5:30pm (Japan Time)
Admission: Open to the public and streaming online.
Registration: click here
- The call for the 27th nominations has closed.
Thank you for the large number of excellent nominations we received!
- Conversation of Dr. Katalin Karikó has been released.
Conversation between the 26th Keio Medical Science Prize laureate, Keio University President, and Ambassador of Hungary in Japan was held on October 26th, 2021(Japan Time).
--Katalin Karikó, Ph.D.
Senior Vice President RNA Protein Replacement Therapies, BioNTech SE
26th Keio Medical Science Prize Laureate
-Kohei Itoh, Ph.D.
President, Keio University
Chairman, Board of Directors, Keio University Medical Science Fund
-His Excellency Dr. Norbert Palanovics
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Hungary in Japan