Details of Laureates
Past Prize Laureates
2023 Events Schedule
- Announcement of Laureates
- Keio Medical Science Prize Award Ceremony and Commemorative Lectures (Web Live Streaming)
November or December, 2023 (JST)
About Keio Medical Science Prize
The Keio Medical Science Prize gives recognition to the outstanding and creative achievements of researchers
in the fields of medicine and life sciences,
in particular those contributing to scientific developments in medicine.
It aims to promote worldwide advances in medicine and life sciences,
to encourage the expansion of researcher networks throughout the world, and to contribute to the well-being of humankind.
Laureates receive a certificate of merit, medal, and a monetary award.
The award ceremony and commemorative lectures are held at Keio University.
Please submit nomination materials online through the Nomination Form.
Nomination Form is opened during end of January to early March.
The Keio Medical Science Prize Selection Committee, consisting of Japanese academics and researchers,
is charged with reviewing candidates' research activities and making a recommendation to the Board of Directors.
Nominees must be researchers in medicine or life sciences closely related to medicine,
and preferably currently active in their field of research.
The Keio Medical Science Prize is an international award.
- An invitation is sent out to academics and researchers all over the world each year,
inviting them to nominate a candidate for the Prize.
- The Committee reviews the nominations and submits a recommendation to the Board.
- The Board makes the final decision and formally announces the laureate(s).
(Subject to Change)
- Call for Nominations: Late January
- Deadline for Nominations: Early March
- Prize Announcement: Mid-September
- Award Ceremony: November or December at Keio University
- Keio Medical Science Prize 2021 laureate Dr. Katalin Karikó has been awarded the Nobel Prize 2023
Dr. Katalin Karikó, the laureate of The Keio Medical Science Prize 2021, won the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
This updated the number of the past Keio Medical Science Prize laureates who won the Nobel Prize to 10.
- Announcement of the 28th Keio Medical Science Prize
The 28th Keio Medical Science Prize is awarded to:
Napoleone Ferrara, M.D.
Distinguished Professor of Pathology
Adjunct Professor of Ophthalmology and Pharmacology
University of California San Diego
Kazutoshi Mori, Ph.D.
Department of Biophysics
Graduate School of Science
[Award Ceremony and Commemorative Lectures]
Date & Time: Thursday, November 9, 2023, 2pm-5:30pm (Japan Time)
Admission: Open to the public and streaming online.
Registration: click here
- The call for the 28th nominations is now closed
Thank you for the large number of excellent nominations we received!